We know. Life is different. And we have had to adapt to ever-changing guidelines due to COVID-19. The good news is that you can still enjoy Preston while social distancing.
Here are a few ways to do that while you’re here. Isn’t there a quote that says “Things turn out best for the people who make the best out of the way things turn out?” That’s what we’re doing here in Preston!
- Grab your fishing poles and FISH. Maybe you’ve fished a few times in your life or maybe you haven’t fished since your grandpa took you out when you were 10. We are here to tell you that today is a great day to start. The Root River runs right through Preston and offers several easy spots to start. In fact, there is a 9-hole fishing course map you can find here that points out some of those great spots. And if you’re looking for some inside info, stop down to see Mel and the team at the The Driftless Fly Fishing Company. We would tell you to stop by the National Trout Center but they are currently closed due to COVID-19. They do still have several maps available here for people that may be looking for a new trout stream to fish. GOOD LUCK!
- Take that bike out that’s been sitting in your garage and hit the trails. Did you know we are connected to 60+ miles of paved trails? If you love a good bike ride you can go for miles and if you’re just starting out pick the Old Barn as a turn-around spot. Plus, you can grab a bite to eat if you work up an appetite. The great thing about the bike trail is that you’ll see so much beauty as you wind through Bluff Country. And it’s great for all ages. You can find a map here of all the trails. Learn more at www.rootrivertrail.org
- I know, I know. You aren’t a golfer, right? But why not try it out? Did you know the average golf course requires you to walk more than 5 miles? That’s some legit steps to put on the Fitbit. If that sounds exhausting, don’t worry. Preston Golf Course does have carts for rent, too. Call and schedule a tee time for the family! You might like golf more than you thought. And if anything, driving a golf cart is always fun, too! They offer nine beautiful holes. And don’t forget to ring the bell after you finish up on hole 7. That hole is a challenging one! Men’s Day is Thursday, Ladies Night is Tuesday and Friday Night is Couple’s Night. Find more information about the course here.
- Paddle down the Root. Head down to the Driftless Kayak Rental shop and rent a few kayaks and social distance on the Root while you paddle. There are a couple different spots you can hop in. Head here if you want to check out the Root River Water Trail map. It’s pretty helpful if you’re looking at where to launch and where to get out. We always recommend wearing a life jacket and checking the weather before you head out!
- Order takeout from one of our awesome local food establishments, grab a growler from Trout City Brewing, and have a picnic! We have some great grub and some great beer in this town! If you’re looking for updated hours head here and plan out your meals. Indoor and outdoor seating is available (bring your masks) at most establishments. Help support our local businesses!
These are just a few ways to play it safe and still enjoy Preston. Stay tuned for some more ideas this Fall. Enjoy the rest of Summer!