The weather has cooled off, the kids are back to school and Fall is in the air!
If you are looking for a weekday outing or a weekend getaway, there are so many fun ways to experience fall with your dog in Bluff Country!
🐾Hit the trails!
We have so many great trail systems in Bluff Country, it’s hard to choose a favorite! The paved walking and bike trails are perfect for exercising your dog on foot or by bicycle.
Tip: a hands-free dog bike leash is invaluable for keeping you and your dog safe!
Be sure to follow trail rules of etiquette;
– Stay to the right side of the trail; faster moving cyclists will pass on your left and often ring their bell or call out to give you a heads up.
– Keep your dog on a 6 foot or shorter leash. Dogs given the full length of a retractable leash can put themselves in danger by wandering into the path of bike traffic if you get distracted by the beautiful scenery and gorgeous fall colors.
– If your dog is excited by, or over reacts to cyclists, pull them just off the trail if you can, and have them sit while the bikes pass by. This will help reinforce good manners, and keep everyone safe.
In addition to paved bike and walking trails, we have some great hiking opportunities at area parks!
Tip: unpaved trails are often shared with horseback riders, so be on the lookout for “road apples” or horse butt nuggets. They tend to be a doggie delicacy.
– A hands-free dog leash could be beneficial, especially if you like to use walking sticks or trekking poles
– A doggie backpack could also be handy. Dogs love having a job, and what’s handier than your dog carrying their own water and snacks?
🐾Canoeing or Kayaking!
There are still plenty of warm days and sunshine to enjoy the many rivers of Bluff Country!
Bring your own floating device, or rent one from one of several businesses in the area!
Tip: It’s not a bad idea to practice with your dog first, but canoeing and/or kayaking with your dog is great fun! Water loving pups love the opportunity to go for a swim, too!
– Please respect private property, keep your dog leashed (as safely as you can; don’t tie the leash to your vessel or body) and under control. A dog life jacket isn’t a bad idea if your dog isn’t a strong swimmer.
🐾Take in an Outdoor Movie!
Bring a blanket, some snacks and snuggle up under the stars at any of several outdoor movies planned in the area this fall! Bonus; it gets dark earlier so the movies start sooner!
Tip: Exercise your dog before the movie, and bring along a favorite chew toy to keep them occupied during the show. And don’t forget a snack and water bowl for them, too!
🐾Dinner and Drinks!
Bring your dog along for dinner and/or drinks on the patio! Several local restaurants and breweries have dog-friendly patio seating available, which means your pup doesn’t have to wait for you at home!
Tip: A pad or small blanket makes a comfy place for your dog to hang out on while you enjoy (and possibly share) your meal.
Make sure you plan a stop at the Farmer’s Market, or Pop-Up Market! Most are dog friendly, and offer an open-air outdoor shopping experience! Local artisans, crafters, growers and bakers offer unique gifts and treats that can’t be beat!
Tip: keep an eye out for dog treats and specialty items!
Camping is a great way to enjoy the outdoors with your 4-legged friend! We have an abundance of beautiful camping destinations in Bluff Country! Set up camp, hit the trails or the water, refuel at an outdoor patio, take in a movie under the stars, relax around your campfire, do a little shopping at the farmer’s market or pop-up market all without leaving your pup behind!
Tip: Bring your dog, have a blast together, make tons of memories!
Help keep our area dog friendly! Well mannered dogs are welcome dogs. And don’t forget your camera!
Help us show the world how dog-friendly Minnesota is.
From brewery patios to road trips and boutique hotels, we want to see what makes you and your canine companion happy. So hit the open road, and share your experiences along the way. Use #MNTails on social media to join the celebration of our furry friends, and start planning your trip today.